Thursday October 23, 2014
posted by Barre-Tech
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and broken into small florets -- (I used a pretty purple cauliflower that I found at the farmer's market!)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed, ground or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, rinsed and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Bring about 1 inch of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add cauliflower and boil until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion (reserve a few slices to place on top of the cake) and cook, stirring, until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add caraway seed, coriander, crushed red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Gently stir in the steamed cauliflower, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Whisk garbanzo bean flour, all-purpose flour (or gluten-free blend), baking powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until mixed. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the eggs and whisk to combine and eliminate most of the lumps. Stir in roasted red pepper and feta. Add the cauliflower mixture and gently stir to combine. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan and top with a few slices of red onion.
- Bake until the top is golden and the cake is set, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool to warm; remove the pan sides and the parchment. Serve warm or at room temperature.